Monday, May 14, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness BLITZ

A smile. An encouraging word. A thoughtful gesture. Each day people interact with us, help, and make our day a bit brighter and full. This is especially true in the world of books.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who read my books, follow and contribute to this blog and write reviews. Without you, I would exist in a vacuum.  If you're a writer, take a second to think about writers you know, like the critique partner who works with you to improve your manuscript. The writing friend who listens, supports and keeps you strong when times are tough. The author who generously offers council, advice and inspiration when asked.

So many people take the time to make us feel special, don't they? They comment on our blogs, re-tweet our posts, chat with us on forums and wish us Happy Birthday on Facebook.


Kindness ROCKS!

To commemorate the release of their book The Emotion Thesaurus, Becca and Angela at The Bookshelf Muse are hosting a TITANIC Random Act Of Kindness BLITZ. And because I think KINDNESS is contagious, I'm participating too!

When I started writing Midnight Moon, I needed information about the juvenile justice system and detention facility in Yakima, Washington. I contacted detention manager, Jennifer Knight. She took me on a behind-the-scenes tour and answered all my questions. Now comes the bummer. When I wrote the synopsis, two editors looked it over and cut that particular plot element. Well, dang! All that research for nothing. However, I noticed a lot of the incarcerated teens reading in their cells. Jennifer told me they always need books. For my random act of kindness, I'll sign and donate the first four books in my series to the Yakima Juvenile Detention Center. When book 5, Midnight Moon, comes out next fall, I'll make sure they get a copy of it as well.

Do you know someone special that you'd like to randomly acknowledge? Don't be shy--come join us and celebrate! Send them an email, give them a shout out, or show your appreciation in another way. Kindness makes the world go round. :)

Becca and Angela have a special RAOK gift waiting for you as well, so hop on over to The Bookshelf Muse to pick it up.

Have you ever participated in or been the recipient of a Random Act Of Kindness?  Let me know in the comments!

9 comments:

  1. This is such a great way to celebrate their book. Donating your books is a lovely random act of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW--great idea for a RAOK. I know Author PJ Hoover's gone to detention centers as well. Everyone deserves a second chance, and should have access to great books!


    Thanks so much for joining in & your generosity!!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Angela. One of them has your name it it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea of donating books to a juvenile detention center. Such a great way to honor an influential person. Thanks for sharing the love, Marilee!

    Becca @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I really hope the kids enjoy the books. If so, I'd like to follow up with a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love this . . .

    The first person I thought of is Angie Ledbetter - my friend, cheerleader, Virginia Kate character's "godmother" (laugh), my co- Publishing editor at Rose & Thorn, and a person who does so much for others but would never like anyone making a big deal over it because she doesn't. She's the reason the Graces novels exist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're truly blessed to have Angie in your life, Kathryn. I hope she reads this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is one of my favorite RAOKs so far. I love that you're donating the books and Jennifer sounds like a wonderful person. Yay kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Miriam. I'm dropping the books off tomorrow and hope they'll invite me to come back for an author visit.

    ReplyDelete