Saturday, March 24, 2012

Just Say No To Raisins





Today is National Chocolate Covered Raisin day. Who knew? First of all, my apologies to all you raisin lovers. Yes, I know raisins are nutritious, fairly bursting with thiamin, riboflavin and vitamins A-Z. Guess what? I don’t care!

My distaste for raisins can be traced back to a childhood trauma.  I was visiting my loving, cookie-baking grandmother and she said, “Marilee, I just baked cookies. Would you like one?”

I had no reason to distrust my grandmother and we’re talkin’ cookies still warm from the oven. With brown things in them. Had to be chocolate chips. Right? A real no-brainer. I took a big bite, fairly drooling in my eagerness for a shot of chocolate ecstasy. . .and bit into a raisin. 
                         
I learned a valuable lesson that day. Be wary of cookies with brown things unless they come with an ironclad chocolate guarantee. And coating raisins with chocolate? Pure trickery!

 There’s another reason I despise raisins. Check out the picture of raisins above. Now check the one below (ignore the wings) See what I mean? I rest my case


1 comment:

  1. Was there a Grandma Mafia in Yakima during the 40s and 50s??? My 2 grandmas pulled the same thing on me and I fell for it twice. They probably began to worry about my native intelligence at this time.

    Thank God for the advent of currants, with these itty-bitty raisins, I can now add them to coleslaw and other goodies (in limited quantities).

    I can certainly sympathize with your trauma, Marilee. ;)

    ReplyDelete